PANCAKES DON’T HAVE TO BE UNHEALTHY. IN FACT, WITH JUST A FEW SIMPLE SUBSTITUTES THEY CAN BE TRANSFORMED INTO A HEALTHY, NUTRITIOUS MEAL.
If you’re looking for small changes, start with swapping your plain flour for wholemeal or buckwheat flour. Substituting semi-skimmed or full fat milk for skimmed milk is another easy way to make your pancakes a bit healthier. Or even using Greek yogurt to top your pancakes, rather than ice cream or cream.
However, if you’re feeling a bit more adventurous, we’ve got your Shrove Tuesday meal sorted! We’re stepping away from the traditional and making things a bit more interesting…
Make your Shrove Tuesday main both delicious and nutritious! Crepes tend to be lower calorie than American pancakes,but are less filling, so it just comes down to personal preference.
- Zucchini fritter pancakes: they contain all of the spinach goodness with only a mild spinach taste.
- Spinach pancakes: these green pancakes contain all of the spinach goodness with only a mild spinach taste.
- Spinach and mushroom crepes: two superfoods in one crepe!
- Ham and egg crepes: gluten free, buckwheat crepes in only 30 minutes
- Greek yogurt pancakes: Fancy gluten and refined sugar free pancakes? These pancakes swap milk for Greek yogurt, making them extra thick and fluffy.
- Oatmeal, banana and honey pancakes: made with no flour, sugar or butter, but still delicious!
- Peanut butter and banana crepes: low carb and low calorie, these whole wheat crepes provide the sweetness without the guilt.
- Mixed berries: the goodness of a classic crepe, but with the option to make them gluten free.
Need more help making healthier food choices? Eat Well is a free, 6 week course to help you improve what you eat