Being active is really good for your body, mind and health – and there are lots of easy ways you can get moving. Walking is a great way to improve, or maintain, your overall health. Walking is low impact and gentle on your joints, requires very little equipment and can fit easily into your schedule.
Before you go…
- Make sure you have some comfortable shoes that you can walk in. There is nothing worse than setting off on your walk and realising the shoes you are wearing are going to give you a blister.
- Pace yourself – the great thing about walking is that you can do it at a speed that suits you.
- Dress accordingly – make sure you dress in enough layers and dress for The Great British weather.
If you find yourself getting fed up with the same walking routine why not mix it up by joining our walking group? Our Walking groups are open to everyone and take place every Monday and Tuesday across Leeds. You can sign up to our One You Walk by clicking here.
This is a great way to meet new people, get involved in your community and maintain a healthy lifestyle! When we asked our One You Leeds Participant, Kathleen, the benefits of joining a walking group, she said:
“It is a lot more fun to walk with people, and the walking groups are very social. Every week I walk a bit further, and it really inspires me to keep pushing myself!” – Kathleen
Did you know that a brisk 30 minute walk (3 mph) can burn more than 200 calories? One way to tell if you’re walking briskly is if you can still talk but can’t sing the words to a song.
Make it a habit
The easiest way to walk more is to make walking a habit. Think of ways to include walking in your daily routine. Here are some ideas:
- Avoid the traffic and walk part of your journey to work
- Walk to the shops to get your groceries
- Using the stairs instead of the lift
- Leave the car behind for short journeys, which could save you money too!
- Walk the kids to school
- Go on a regular walk with a friend
- Go for a stroll with family or friends after dinner
A good workout doesn’t need heavy weights and expensive equipment. Walking is simple, free and one of the easiest ways to get more active, lose weight and become healthier. To find out more about our free walking groups call 0800 169 4219, or visit our website by clicking here.