It’s that time of year again! New Year means new opportunities to be an even better version of yourself, and this year we would like to make 2019 the year YOU quit smoking for good. Now is the right time to quit, so join your friends, family or local community and make the change with us.
Smoking damages your body in many ways, from the day-to-day effects to long term illnesses. However it is not only you that you are harming, as over 80% of cigarette smoke is invisible and odourless, meaning that regardless of how careful you may think you are being you could still be putting your family at risk.
- You will save money. Try the NHS Smoke Free calculator to see exactly how much you will save.
- Your general fitness will improve.
- The appearance of your skin and teeth will improve
- You will stop your family and friends from being exposed to second-hand smoke.
Notice the difference
- After 20 minutes – Pulse rate returns to normal.
- After 8 hours – Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood reduce by more than half and oxygen levels return to normal.
- After 48 hours – Carbon monoxide will be eliminated from the body. Lungs start to clear out mucus and other smoking debris.
- After 48 hours – There is no nicotine in the body. Ability to taste and smell is improved.
- After 72 hours – Breathing becomes easier. Bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase.
- After 2-12 weeks – Your circulation improves.
- After 3-9 months – Coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve as lung function increases by up to 10%.
- After 1 year – Risk of heart disease is about half compared with a person who is still smoking.
- After 10 years – Risk of lung cancer falls to half that of a smoker.
- After 15 years – Risk of heart attack falls to the same as someone who has never smoked.
There are many good reasons to stop smoking, and you’re four times more likely to quit with our support than if you go it alone.
Make 2019 the year you quit smoking for good. Chose support that is right for you, and visit One You Leeds to receive your personal quit plan.